Friday, August 30, 2013

Review: The Balm NudeTude Palette with Photos and Swatches

TheBalm NudeTude Palette

Hey everyone!
Today's post is of a palette that is quite raved about in the beauty community for being a great palette for neutral shadow lovers out there- theBalm's NudeTude palette. I love neutral eyeshadows. I own both of the Naked Palettes from Urban Decay, and since I had never tried anything from theBalm, I figured this would be a good first thing to try since it has gotten such great reviews. 

I've wanted to order this for a while now, but I waited until the brand went on sale on Hautelook, so I got this palette for 50% off ($18 instead of $36). The only downside to ordering this on Hautelook was that it took quite a while to be delivered (three weeks or so).

So today, I will be showing you guys what the palette contains and a description of each of the shades. The palette comes in thin cardboard packaging, which I just leave off most of the time. It comes with twelve shadows, and a double ended brush. 

One side of the brush has a eyeliner brush, and the other side has an angled shadow brush.


And this is the back of the palette:


So let's take a closer look at those eyeshadows, shall we?

Top Row (from L-R): Sassy, Stubborn, Selfish, Sophisticated, Sexy, Serious
Bottom Row (from L-R): Snobby, Stand-offish, Sultry, Seductive, Silly, Sleek

They're so pretty! I like the layout of this palette- six lighter shades on the left, and then the six darker ones on the left. I also think all the names are really cute.
There are two types of the palette available if you order off theBalm's website, Naughty and Nice. They both have the same shadows in them. Naughty was the only one available on Hautelook, so that's the one I have. Some may find it a little risque, but I don't really care. 

Top (from L-R): Sassy, Stubborn, Selfish
Bottom (from L-R): Snobby, Stand-offish, Sultry

(L-R): Sassy, Snobby, Stubborn, Stand-offish, Selfish, Sultry

1. Sassy: I think this was supposed to be the intended "highlight shade" of the bunch, but on my pale skintone, this shade is just too shimmery. Sassy is an super shimmery white shade, which, if it leaned a little more pink, would be perfect for highlighting for me.

2. Stubborn: I have a feeling that Stubborn is going to be a much loved shade for me in this palette. I love shades that lean pink, but aren't super warm. Stubborn is another shimmery (but not shimmery) shade. It's more pink than Stand-offish.

3. Selfish: This will most likely be my favourite shade of the palette, from what I used so far. I absolutely love taupe shades because they are not too brown that they look orangey on my skin. This shade especially has enough gray in it that it looks stunning on the skin. Love love love. This is also a shimmer.

4. Snobby: I do not think I will be getting much use at all out of this one, unfortunately. It's just really not my colour at all, it's too yellow. Snobby is medium toned yellow gold shimmer.

5 Stand-offish: This shade is the same finish as Stubborn, but it is lighter and leans less pink (more peach). It is very similar to Urban Decay's Sin, and since I love that shade, I know I'll love this one too!

6. Sultry: Sultry is a warm matte (bordering on satin) brown. Darker than Urban Decay's Naked. 

Top Row (from L-R): Sophisticated, Sexy, Serious
Bottom Row (from L-R): Seductive, Silly, Sleek

(L-R): Sophisticated, Seductive, Sexy, Silly, Serious, Sleek

7. Sophisticated: This one is a dark brown with gold undertones, and some bronze shimmer. It's absolutely stunning, and I am very excited to get a lot of use out of this one. In terms of finish, it has more visible shimmer than Stand-offish, Stubborn, Snobby and Selfish. It is somewhat similar to Urban Decay's Darkhorse.

8. Sexy: Sexy is a matte burgundy with plum tones in it. It's a little more red than Urban Decay's Busted. It has a very smooth texture, but not chalky. 

9. Serious: A plain matte black. It has pretty good pigmentation for such a dark shade, but it could be a little bit darker.

10. Seductive: This shade used to be called Schitzo in the old versions of the palette, not sure why they changed it. It is a warm golden brown, with a pearl finish.

11. Silly: Silly is a red toned brown with copper shimmer. This shade was the only one that had an issue with finish. It has fairly bad fall out, and the pigmentation isn't up to par with the rest of the shades.

12. Sleek: A matte dark brown. Very similar to Urban Decay's Backdoor. It has very good colour payoff.



In terms of colour payoff, the mattes were all very smooth and buttery, which is very impressive. With the exception of Silly, all the rest of the shimmery shades applied evenly with a buttery texture. I'm a little disappointed with the texture of Silly, but every palette has to have one not so good shade, right? The pigmentation of these was excellent, and I am very impressed with the quality of these shadows. For $34, it's a more reasonable alternative to the Urban Decay Naked Palettes.

The packaging on this is very sturdy, with a magnet strong enough to keep the cardboard palette shut. It also has a full length mirror.

All in all, I am very pleased with my first product from theBalm, and I will definitely be trying more!

Thanks for reading!


Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment