Saturday, January 05, 2013

Review: Benefit They're Real! Mascara

Benefit's They're Real! Mascara in Black

Today's post is going to be a quick review of a mascara that I've been using for quite awhile, Benefit's They're Real! Mascara. I've also used BadGal Lash from Benefit, but I prefer this one, and I'll tell you why in a minute.
I got this mascara as a present for Christmas 2011, and used it until it got old. Then I just recently got another tube as a birthday gift from Sephora, so I thought I would post a review while I have a new tube.


For starters, I really like the packaging on this. It's practical, and not overly gaudy! That's one thing about Benefit; their packages are cute, but not always practical. But this is slim enough to easily fit in a makeup bag. 




I got the colour Black, but they also have Plum available. This usually costs $29 CAD, which is pretty steep, but it is a high end brand. However, I think that the results it gives are not that far above regular drugstore mascaras, which you get for about a third of the price. 


This brush is what gave this mascara so much hype when it was first released. It claimed to be able to reach all the little lashes that regular brushes can't. 

This is what Sephora.com says about it:
What it is:
A jet-black mascara that lengthens, curls, volumizes, lifts, and separates lashes for a spectacular "out-to-here" look. 

What it does:
This mascara features an exclusive brush specially designed to maximize the performance of the long-wearing, glossy formula revealing lashes you never knew you had! Staggered bristles grab close to the root, boosting length and volume beyond belief. The precision bristles on the custom-domed tip lift, define, and curl even your tiniest lashes. The end result is luxurious, silky lashes that won't smudge, clump, or dry out.

Research results:
-94% saw dramatic length and volume*
-90% saw base-to-tip curl*
-94% saw visible lift*
-100% saw long-wearing results*
-*Results observed in a consumer panel survey

I like the brush, but I don't think you can reach every lash without poking yourself in the eye. Which is one of my complaints about the brush: the bristles are super sharp, so when you poke yourself in the eye (which happens quite often), it hurts!! 

As for the other claims (length and volume), I think it delivers quite well on both. I've included before and after pictures below so you can see for yourself. 

One thing I will say quickly though is this: it doesn't hold a curl very well, and it will clump if you go beyond two coats. It also starts to wear down after six or seven hours of wear. 

lashes before-no mascara


lashes with mascara


As you can see, it gives nice length and volume and makes your lashes rich and black. It DOES NOT give the look of false lashes like it claims, but it's nice for everyday wear! I personally really like this mascara.

My Rating: 9/10




Thanks for reading!!



Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment