Friday, August 24, 2012

Urban Decay Smoked Palette Review

Urban Decay Smoked Palette, Look Book, Perversion Eyeliner

Today's post is going to be of the new Urban Decay Smoked Palette, a palette filled with 10 smoky shades. It comes with a look book, a mini size primer potion and a 24/7 eyeliner in Perversion. 

In my review, I'll be showing you pictures of each eyeshadow and swatches, followed by a description of each shade. 

Take a look!!

Urban Decay Smoked Palette

Let's look at those eyeshadows, shall we?

Top Row (from L-R): Kinky, Freestyle, Mushroom, Backdoor, Blackout
Bottom Row (from L-R): Barlust, Rockstar, Evidence, Loaded, Asphalt

Aren't they pretty? Without even seeing it in person, I already knew I wanted it!!


Top Row (From L-R): Kinky, Freestyle
Bottow Row (From L-R): Barlust, Rockstar

Top Row (From L-R): Kinky, Freestyle
Bottom Row (From L-R): Barlust, Rockstar

1) Kinky: Kinky is a matte off white, intended for highlighting your browbone. It is very pigmented for a matte; I often find myself using too much and having to wipe some off. This is a new shade and exclusive to this palette.

2) Freestyle: Freestyle is also matte. It is a peach, skin tone colour which is why you can't actually see it in the swatch. It just blends right in. It is less pigmented than Kinky. This is also a new shade and exclusive to the palette.

3) Barlust: Barlust is a beauty, a shimmery warm brown with red-brown tones. I have cool toned skin, and this doesn't pull orange on me, luckily! It is quite pigmented; the colour you see in the swatch is one swipe. Also a new and exclusive shade.

4) Rockstar: Rockstar is shimmery deep plum. It is a beautiful jewel tone, with great pigmentation and smooth payoff. This is part of their permanent range.


Top Row (From L-R): Mushroom, Backdoor
Bottom Row (From L-R): Evidence, Loaded
Top Row (From L-R): Mushroom, Backdoor
Bottom Row (From L-R): Evidence, Loaded

1) Mushroom: Mushroom is a shimmery taupe- essentially a gray brown. It looks cool toned in the pan, but it pulls warmer on my skin. It has great pigmentation; it is one of the stars of the palette for me. This is part of their permanent range.

2) Backdoor: Backdoor is a matte dark brown. It reminds me of charcoal; it's that dark. It's a really pretty colour to use for eyeliner, and very pigmented. This is a new and exclusive shade to the palette.

3) Evidence: Evidence is a dark, shimmery navy blue. It has decent colour payoof, but out of the three jewel tones, this one had subpar pigmentation compared to the other two. In the pan, it looks blue, but on my eyes, it looks more black. This is part of their permanent line.

4) Loaded: Loaded is a blackened green, with hints of teal. It appears more black than green when applied to the skin. It is a really pretty colour, regardless of that. This is also part of the permanent range. 


From L-R: Blackout, Asphalt
From L-R: Blackout, Asphalt

1) Blackout: Blackout is a deep matte black. It isn't the most pigmented matte black out there, but it does have decent colour payoff. This shade was also in Naked2 Palette. This is part of the permanent range. 

2) Asphalt: Asphalt is a shimmery, medium-dark gunmetal gray, with silver undertones. It has very good pigmentation. This is a new and exclusive shade to the palette. 

Urban Decay 24/7 Eyeliner in Perversion

The palette also comes with a 24/7 eyeliner in perversion. This is one the blackest eyeliners I have ever seen; it is so pigmented with just one swipe. 
swatch-sunlight

See how pigmented it is? It's crazy. This is not a retractable pencil (as with all other 24/7 liners), but it is so worth the sharpening. 

Urban Decay "Get the Look" Book

Additionally, the palette also comes with a look book, guiding you through different looks you can makes with the shadows in the palette. This has proved to be very useful for me!! 


Overall: 
This is a great palette. I got this for $60.90 CAD at my Sephora. I know it seems steep, but you are getting a lot for your money.
You get 10 eyeshadows with 0.03g of product (not quite full sized- 0.05g is full sized), an full sized eyeliner, the book (which is $9 by itself), and 0.13g of primer potion. Pretty good!!

If I could change one thing about this palette, I would include one light shimmery shade. I always use that to highlight my inner corner, and when I'm using this, I have to reach for another palette to finish my look. Not a major issue, but still.

As for the quality of the entire combination, I'm very impressed. Urban Decay is known for its great eyeshadows, so I was expecting ten buttery smooth eyeshadows, which I got. If I had to choose one that wasn't that great, it would be Evidence, which I was hoping would be more pigmented and more blue.
The eyeliner is amazing too, and I love the look book. It is so easy to understand. And I'm always happy to get more primer potion!

My Rating: 9.5/10 I'm very satisfied with this palette, and I highly recommend it to lovers of dark eyeshadow looks!! If you prefer lighter shades, this probably isn't for you.

Thanks for reading!!

Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment